Sunday 22 October 2023

Might not have been the best choice

Where to go for dinner?  I remembered there were a row of food stalls near the Hualien Train Station and headed that way at 7PM.  That may not have been a good option as all but one stall were closed.  One assumes these are breakfast and lunch stalls. 

I started using Google Translate on the menu of the open stall only to be given a paper menu that had both English and Chinese.  I selected three dishes and waited for their arrival.

The first dish was rice and prawns.  Quite tasty!

P1030293

The second was pork wantons and noodle soup.  This was OK.P1030294

The third was oysters and tofu.

P1030295

I thought I had ordered fried oysters and whilst there were plenty of them, they were definitely not fried.  I'm not a great fan of oysters and gave up on them after eating a few. 

Three dishes was far to much for me to eat and I must have left two thirds of it uneaten. 

That night the oysters came back to haunt me and I was wondering if they were going to return on me.  They didn't; but I felt queasy for much of today.  Rather than have another "hit or miss" local meal I opted to got to the "Golden Arches" in the knowledge what I ate would probably be accepted by my digestive system.

P1030296

In this part of the world shoes are removed before entering a home.  Plastic slippers are provided for use indoors.  Interestingly the slippers are not left and right and I find then quite hard to wear.

P1030297

If you are slightly squeamish you might want to stop reading here.

Coming down Taroko Gorge four days ago I hit the wall of the first tunnel.  It was a single lane unlined rock tunnel without any lighting.   I didn't have a working headlight on the bike and became situationally disorientated in the dark clipping the side of the tunnel and coming off the bike.  Whilst walking the bike in the dark to the other end of the tunnel I could feel I had an injury to my right hand.  Back in daylight I could see I was bleeding profusely from the last two fingers on my right hand.   

I washed the tunnel grit from the wound with my water bottle and tore up some old towelling as a temporary measure whilst I searched through the panniers for my first aid kit.    With a couple of band aids on the fingers I was able to  continue on.

Today I decided to remove the band aids and inspect the fingers.  

P1030298

The "pinkie" is still sore and stiff, but the adjacent fingers is steadily improving. 

Now I have the headlight working I'm hoping there will be no further similar incidents.

1 comment :

Jenny said...

Oh dear, hope your fingers recover soon, that looks quite nasty. I'm enjoying reading about your food adventures.