Wednesday 11 October 2023

Sanxia to Toufen

A long day, just on 100km in 7 hours.  When I woke this morning the ground outside was wet, but no rain.  It still hadn't rained when I left my accommodation at 10AM.  Actually it didn't rain all day and the sun even appeared mid afternoon.  My theory from yesterday has been destroyed.

I never intended to ride 100km and I never intended to go to Toufen.  By midday I had cycled 54km and reached Zhudong where I stopped for lunch and to do some research on accommodation for the night.

It rapidly became apparent the cost of a room would be quite high if I continued down the middle of the island.  My assumption is this is because there isn't much accommodation in the middle and the area is very tourist orientated.  If I went west, towards the coast, where the industry is located, there were significantly more options and at a cheaper price.  I changed my plan and cycled another 45km to Toufen.

cycling day 4

The first hour of cycling was mostly along a cycleway and linear park beside a river.

Flat and easy riding.  Numerous families were out walking or cycling.

P1030073

This was in a park and there were children around which suggests to me the structure might be a circular slide.

Another small shrine.

P1030074

The river has been dammed in a number of locations creating a series of reservoirs

As I continued cycling the land steadily became more rural and the roads became narrower. 

P1030076

P1030077

P1030078

I enjoy cycling the rural roads and alleys

The landscape changed again and I found myself on a busy cycleway.  Numerous locals were using a large pedestrian suspension bridge to cross the river.

P1030079P1030080

Top end of the last reservoir

P1030081

A final suspension bridge.  This one was being used by many people intent on reaching a building high on the far bank.

P1030082

The track then became more isolated and I stopped for a final photo before ascending a steep and winding path.

P1030083

At one location I had to dismount and push the bike over a steep humpback pedestrian bridge where the surface was made of steps.

Having climbed in altitude it was then a long downhill ride on the other side until I reached Zhudong . 

From this point until the coast the cities all roll into one long stretch.  Too much traffic to make the cycling enjoyable.

When I reached the coast I joined National Cycling Route 1

P1030084

The tide was out and groups of locals were searching for shellfish

P1030085

There were also a large number of wind turbines situated alone the coast and out to sea.

For about 10km the bike path was being heavily utilised.  Families had hired four wheel ebike carriages and were riding up and down the coast.

P1030086

I reached Toufen at 5PM and couldn't check into my accommodation until 6PM so I went to a nearby 7Eleven and bought dinner.  The packaging stated it was pasta and cheese with sausage in vegetables.

P1030087

There was one tiny piece of broccoli.  The majority was noodles.

Maybe I'll find a night market tomorrow night and buy something more interesting.

 

No comments :