Tuesday 10 October 2023

Sanzhi to Sanxia

It was still raining when I woke at 5AM.  Yes, that futon bed was only passably more comfortable that my two nights in Keelung.  After packing I took the panniers and battery downstairs to the bike only to discover the front door was locked.  I resigned myself to sitting in the chair beside the door and dozing.

Breakfast was provided.  Two pieces of toast, two bananas and a boiled egg along with a cup of soya milk.  After no dinner it all went down very quickly.

At 9AM is was still raining when I started riding south.  My main issue wasn't the rain.  Rather the plastic bag I'd placed over the phone screen.  It was very hard to read the route and several times I had to backtrack.  Whilst I was wearing a cheap nylon jacket that didn't prevent my socks and shoes from getting saturated.  The bike wheels were also throwing up wet road grit. 

It simply wasn't worth stopping to attempt a photo opportunity.  Didn't want to get the camera wet and anything possibly worth a picture looked grey and washed out.

That changed at 11AM when the rain ceased.  However that didn't mean the sun came out.  Still a grey and cloudy day, but at least dry.

Much of my route took me along riverside bike paths.

ride day 3  

P1030064

Heading east towards Taipei along the northern bank.

P1030066

My route took me to the opposite bank over the red arch bridge

P1030068

Looks like some renovating it being undertaken on a traditional style Chinese building.

P1030069

I crossed back over to the other bank on a cycle path underneath the main Taipei motorway.

P1030070

At midday I booked a motel room in Sanxia.  Same price as the previous night's B&B.  Although it probably would have been more expensive yesterday as that was a public holiday.

At 2PM I arrived at the motel only to be informed the room wouldn't be available until 6PM.  My error, I hadn't checked the arrival time when booking. 

I cycled off to a nearby bike path beside the river and found a small pagoda style shelter in which to spend four hours.

P1030071

It started raining at 5PM just as I was starting to feel comfortable.  At least the rain isn't cold!  At 5.30 I realised it might be a good idea to cycle to a 7Eleven and buy dinner.  There seemed little point in going to the motel and changing into dry clothes only to walk off in the rain to find food.

The 7Elevens all have frozen TV Dinners and powerful microwave ovens.  I selected a Chinese dish containing vegetables over the pasta and cheese dish.  Well there weren't many vegetables.  It was mostly thin noodles.  But at A$0.40 I can't complain.

At 6.10PM I was in the motel room seated on the toilet with the hairdryer in one hand attempting to dry my wringing wet socks and shoes.  What soldier hasn't woken in the morning and had to put on the previous days wet socks and boots?  It's necessary rather than pleasant and if I can avoid it I will.

I now have a theory about the weather.  It rains from 5PM until 10AM the next day.  Leaving at 9AM was probably a mistake.  I shall test my theory tomorrow and leave the motel at 11AM with the aim of reaching tomorrow nights accommodation by 4PM at the latest.

 

No comments :