Friday 6 October 2023

Cycling Day 1. Taipei to Keelung

A short ride of approximately 25km on flat land following the Keelung River.  During the trip it mostly rained or drizzle.  I left my accommodation in Taipei at 9AM knowing if I rode solidly it would take about two hours to reach Keelung, my hotel room wouldn't be available until 3PM.  Therefore I took my time making numerous stops under whatever shelter made itself available.

taipei - keelung map

The river banks in Taipei have been formed into a linear park with a high concrete berm between the linear park and the city.  There are numerous steps up and over the berm with far fewer access points through it.  Eventually I found one almost feeling like a Hobbit as I rode through it.

P1020994

When the river is in spate a large steel door slides across the opening preventing the water from entering the city.

P1020992P1020993

With no need to hurry I slowly pedalled along admiring the scenery through the drizzle.  Then the rain set in and I sheltered under an interesting suspension bridge.

P1020995

P1020997

I assume the large pipes that form the support beams for the bridge convey potable water or sewage?

P1020998

Most residents of Taipei appear to live in high-rise apartments.  Not the sort of life I want to live.

P1020999

I'm finding cycling with the panniers rather than the trailer somewhat easier.  The big 32Ah battery sits low in the frame and I've move the handlebar bag to behind the seat.  The video action camera is mounted on the handlebar.  I'll try and remember to add some video footage at the end of this post for any reader who can't sleep and has plenty of data allowance Smile

P1020996

Oh look… another temple!

P1030001

Damned flower got in the way of a great photo Smile

P1030002

P1030003

I was using OSMAND as my navigation App on the phone and it wasn't having a great day.  Had me on the wrong side of the river; in the middle of the river; and then going in the wrong direction.  It was also chewing through my battery.  Eventually I turned it off and used Google Maps for the remainder of the trip.

I cycled briefly around Keelung but as I have a full day here tomorrow and it was raining I sheltering for half the time whilst I waited for the hotel room to be available.

P1030004

P1030005

P1030006

I found my two star hotel without much difficult but was slightly perturbed when I saw the reception was directly off the alleyway and tiny.  Obviously the rooms were above and where would/could I safely stow the bike.  A couple of the online reviews mentioned the elderly Chinese lady at reception was rude.  I didn't find her like that and we smiled at each other as we struggled with the language barrier.  I pointed to the bike and was shown a storage room/laundry next to the tiny foyer.  One potential problem solved!  Then she gave me the room key.  Room No 501.  No lift and narrow stairs.  Oh well…  You get what you pay for and this was the cheapest room I've ever had in Taiwan.

The room door looks like it was stolen from Fort Knox.

P1030007

Someone can beat on it but I doubt they will get in without a key!

P1030008

The room is clean and very utilitarian.  The bed has been artfully made from recycled bricks with a full length groove down the middle to prevent one from rolling out during the night.

The shower is actually a wet roomP1030010

The stains in the toilet bowl are so impressive I dare not take a photo.  I shall sit very gingerly Smile

P1030009

The three room wall plugs are a marvel to behold

P1030011

P1030012P1030013

I need a shower (hope there is hot water) and to do some clothes washing in the handbasin.   Good news… the aircon works!

Later this evening I'll head to the Keelung Night Market, which is famous in Taiwan for its seafood.

2 comments :

Jenny said...

A good start to your trip, but take care around those power plugs in your room. Seafood at the market sounds yummy, wonder what will tempt you?

Tom and Jan said...

Jenny you may find out in the next post :-)