Friday 13 October 2023

A Hard Day

Sanyi to Puli, about 80km; except there were a few detours.  The bike battery was showing 47% charge left when I reached my accommodation in Puli.  That is probably the lowest I've ever seen and is an obvious indication of how much assistance I received.

cycling day 6

I was mostly following the grey route in an effort to avoid suburbia.  It also turned out to be quite challenging.

I erred in my judgement using Google Maps.  Almost immediately after starting I needed to cycle up my first steep hill.  I managed it without having to dismount the bike but my legs were rubbery when I reached the top.

P1030104

Easy riding (mostly coasting) down the other side until Google Maps directed me off the road near a bike hire station. 

Almost immediately I realised I was on a old railway which had been converted to a cycle path.

P1030105P1030106

2km long tunnel with the old box girder railway bridge at the end crossing the valley

P1030107

I stopped in the middle of the bridge to take a photo in each direction.

P1030108P1030109

Initially I thought there might be another tunnel at the opposite end of the bridge.  However it was just a tunnel of trees.

P1030110

Google started taking my up a valley that became increasingly more narrow and remote.  You know that means at some point you're going to have to climb over the ridge.P1030111

I became very hot and thirsty.  This was so remote it was unlikely I'd find a 7-Eleven.  Eventually I came upon a small farm shop selling vegetables and used the most commonly known word throughout the world "Coke Cola?" It worked and I was able to rehydrate.

Almost immediately the road narrowed and became VERY STEEP.  So steep that I was forced to dismount and push the bike to the summit.  The bike is HEAVY.  Bike, motor, large battery and two full panniers.  Frequent rest stops were required to allow my pounding heart to recover.  Halfway up I took a photo as an excuse to rest.

P1030112

Struggling on I eventually reached the top.

P1030113

Looking back. 

And what was on the other side of the ridge.

P1030114

Google was still taking me the rural scenic route.  I had to go left.  But the road immediately divided.

P1030115

Google said "Go Right!".   Down, down and very steep down I went until the track ended at a farmhouse.  A dead end!!!!!P1030116

The bike had to be pushed several kilometres back to the summit.  I tried the left track.   Down, down, very steep down and the track ended.  Another dead end!!!! 

P1030117

P1030118

End of the track!

Pushed the bike back to the summit.  Google insisted I take the right track and I would reach the bottom.   Google lies!

I reverted the basic map reading and looked for a main road in the general area and realised if I turned right at the summit junction instead of left as Google wanted, the track looked like it would take me to a main road.

I was correct and greatly relieved when I was able to coast down a smooth and winding road for 5km.

Then it was back on the undulating roads as I completed the second half of the route.

Along the way Google attempted to take me on alternate roads.  I ignored the instructions preferring to use my own judgement.

By now I was feeling very tired.  20km from my destination I found myself cycling on a smooth road with a few hills.  I could only look across the valley at the motorway going in the same direction and to the same destination. 

P1030119

Bikes aren't allowed on motorways Sad smile

Upon reaching the outskirts of Puli I allowed Google to give me instructions to my hotel.  A mistake!

Google took me down a very bumpy path.

P1030120

That's it…….  I'm reverting to OSMAND with Google as a backup.

My legs are sore.  no doubt they will be stiff in the morning.  I need to drink plenty of water as I know I'm dehydrated.

First task in the hotel was to wash the sweat saturated Hi-Viz top bike shorts, socks and bandana.  Than have a shower before placing the bike battery on charge. 

I'll look for something to eat later…… If I can find the energy!

 

 

 

 

 

2 comments :

Jenny said...

What a day!

Tom and Jan said...

I won't forget it for awhile Jenny!