Sunday 17 May 2020

Costco has more paperwork

There I was seated on the throne in the House of the Lords when I happened to glance into the far corner of the room.  My attention was drawn the the waiting paperwork and what particularly caught my eye was the disparity in the volume.

P1000021

The top roll is from one of the two main local supermarkets whereas the bottom two rolls were recently purchased from Costco.  Not only is the Costco paperwork cheaper, there is significantly more on the roll. 

Gordon Ramsey Plating Up

I’d never heard the expression “plating up” until Gordon Ramsey used the expression on a TV show I happened to watch.  Well my expression isn’t quite the same.  I’ve been Planking Up! The last of the timber planks was biscuit joined and clamped this morning.

P1000024

Why the newspaper underneath?  I made the mistake of not placing newspaper under my first biscuit joining more than a decade ago and the result was the glued panel being stuck to the table.  It’s easier to rip or sand the newspaper off the panel.

Tomorrow I’ll start on smoothing the five panels before they are cut to their final size.

P1000023  

Dave I thought I was only going to need to hand mix four bags.  I couldn’t use Jan’s pink mixer as that would require me to carry bucket loads of mixed concrete through the house to the bathroom.  My method was to move the empty wheelbarrow into the bathroom and mix the concrete in it.  Then it was a matter of pouring directly from the barrow to the hole in the floor slab.

Jenny it’s quite strenuous going for a lie down in the middle of the day.  Sometimes Jan sees me and that can result in her dressing in that small black and white french maid outfit with the fishnet stocking and high heels.  She comes into the bedroom with the riding crop and whispers “Want to play Ride the Wild Stallion?”  The brain is willing, but these days the flesh is weak… .which is quite demoralizing! Smile

4 comments :

Pip and Mick said...

Hi Tom
The toilet paper we recently panic bought looked bigger than our normal prefered (unavailable) Sainsury's rolls. It turns out these rolls have a significantly larger cardboard tube making the whole roll look bigger when in actual fact it is only the hole that is bigger. More air for the supermarket wagons to transport around the country!

Mick

Pip and Mick said...

How do the internal toilet roll diameters compare?
I've found that cheaper rolls tend to look fatter but not only have a larger void in the centre but also are wound a lot looser. Cheaper ones lasting two thirds the time of the other rolls.
Hopefully now our fatter rolls are running out we will be able to restock with our normal brand.
Pip

Catherine H said...

Instead of newspaper, you can use thicker plastic, like the black builders plastic, so that your glue does not stick, especially if it is a 2 part epoxy type.

Tom and Jan said...

Mick and Pip

The cardboard tubes have the same diameter. We're getting more paper for our money!

Catherine

I agree but all I have at the moment is the community newspaper. It's PVA glue (water based)