Thursday 14 May 2020

Costco

We’ve paid our $60 and joined Costco.  I recall passing a few Costco outlets when we were living on Waiouru however there was little point in joining as it sells in bulk and we didn’t have the room on board. 

After looking around the new Perth store it was obvious some things are cheaper and other not!  However my primary reason for want to join (probably not Jan’s) was they have a audiologist.  My hearing started failing many years ago.  Likely a combination of gunfire, explosions and hereditary.  My hearing has now reach the point where I can’t understand 40% of what Jan is saying unless I can see her face.  Obviously my brain (apparently I have one) is subconsciously lip reading.  It’s not 100% accurate which has led to some amusing replies on my part.

Anyway, I booked a Costco hearing test for last Tuesday.  Indeed I do have a moderate to severe hearing loss in both ears.  There was no pressure to buy hearing aids, however the audiologist did show me their range.  I rather liked the rechargeable (Lithium) hearing aids.  But at $1800 for each ear I was reluctant to purchase.  She then showed me the Costco branded aids which were $1899 for the pair.  They are not rechargeable, however the batteries would only cost me approximately $30 annually.  The rechargeable aids only last approx 12-18 hours before the batteries are flat.  The non re-chargeable batteries last approx 5 days.  I did like the idea of rechargeable aids,  but could I justify the $3600 verses the $1899 for the non rechargeable.  Then the audiologist informed me irrespective of which brand of hearing aid I selected they would only have a life of 3-5 years and the manufacturers didn’t carry spare parts.  I opted for the cheaper Costco hearing aids (Kirkland signature 9.0) and was about to place an order when Jan mentioned she had received an email from Costco advising they had advertised there would be a $100 discount on hearing aids if purchased between 9 May and early June.  The audiologist then deducted $100 off the price.  The final price for my hearing aids was $1799.

I think we have very quickly recouped our $60 membership fee.

One final observation about the process at the hearing centre.  All the Costco staff were wearing disposable paper overalls, masks and gloves (full PPE).  I was also give a mask to wear during the hearing test.  Costco are obviously taking the COVID19 pandemic seriously.

costco 

I doubt it’s a real response from Costco…. but it was funny! Smile

2 comments :

Mike Griffin said...

HI,

Good luck with your hearing aids, transformed my life, I use battery ones, check the insurance aspects in case you lose one, which I did and it was covered. They are normally only replaced as pairs......as I upgraded the insurance company offered to pay for a pair, but I paid for one new one and they covered the other. It helped reduce the claim and the substantial increase in next years premium......
Mike

Tom and Jan said...

Mike,

Costco insure them against loss as part of the deal. There is also a 180 day money back guarantee if i don't like them.

Tom