Thursday 28 May 2020

The Clock is Ticking!

Amazing, I had not realised the kitchen clock Jan has on the wall above the sink made a noise.  Neither had I realised the Isuzu diesel engine in the 4x4 was so noisy; nor did I know the vehicle indicators made a clicking sound when activated. 

Yes readers, we were at Costco yesterday for my hearing aid fitting.  Jan now has to learn it is no longer necessary for her to shout at me.  I’ve already noticed the TV volume can be turned down between 30-50%.  The pc keyboard makes clicking sounds when you touch the keys.  The reclining armchair creaks and those small things that fly in the sky make cheerful sounds.  My poor brain is in sensory overload.

The cabinet project is progressing very slowly.  Jarrah timber is expensive and I’m attempting to make as few mistakes as possible.

P1000038

In the foreground is the top horizontal rail to which I’ve glued small triangular bracing blocks.

Unfortunately I have discovered something I missed earlier.  I drill out all the old nail and screw holes in the recycled timber for the base before plugging them with Jarrah plugs.  It wasn’t until I fitted the vertical partitions to the base that I discovered the surface of the base is NOT flat.

 P1000039

If I screw the leading edge of the vertical panel to the base removing the gap then the back of the panel rises and the panel is no longer plumb.  I should have identified this earlier.  I’ll probably have to remove the base and cut it longitudinally into sections that will fit through the thicknesser and then biscuit join the sections back together.

P1000040 

Top horizontal rail installed

Rather than work from the base up I may have to turn the cabinet over and work from the top down <Grrrr>

The autumn rain has arrived.  Hopefully enough will fall in the northern and southern wheat belts for the farmers to get a good crop this year.  I do feel for some of them as they have already planted barley.  Western Australia is the largest supplier of Australian barley and the major market is China.  In the last few days China placed a 80% tariff on Australian barley claiming it was subsidized by the government.  By coincidence this occurred just after the Australian Federal Government instigated the request for an international inquiry into the COVID19 pandemic.  China is showing her displeasure!

Jan and I have been discussing project priorities.  The next project is likely to be the trench and power cable from the house to the workshop.  Once that is complete then we can progress the swimming pool installation.  Hopefully a winter installation will mean more competitive pricing.  My mental design for the pool solar water heating system is complete.  I now need to start collecting the beer cans.  I know… it’s an onerous job emptying the cans, but I’m up for the challenge!

 

.

2 comments :

Mike Griffin said...

Take care when 'spending a penny'with the hearing aids fitted, it sounds as though you are standing next to the Niagra Falls.......I lost one of mine in the garden yesterday........only covered a small area working, but a finger tip search ensures.

Don't mention the Chinese....

Tom and Jan said...

Mike your advice came to damned late! I'm sure there were five of us squeezed into the smallest room in the house. Yes, it was Niagra Falls!

Mine came insured by Costco for 12 months against loss or damage. Also a no questions asked 180 days money back guarrantee.