Friday 20 October 2023

Bike Repairs

After the last week at or above 400 metres I'm finding it rather humid down at sea level.  Last night I waited until after 7PM before heading out to find something to eat.  I was hoping it would be slightly cooler.  It was; but still humid.

I stopped at several food stalls and used Google Translate on the menus to give me a rough idea on what was available.  There seemed to be a considerable amount of offal on offer!

In the end I picked a stall and selected four dishes.  The lady running the stall was trying to tell me something, but I didn't understand.  She eventually asked another patron to inform me I had chosen two soup dishes and suggested I only have one.  I agreed.

IMG_20231018_184959

The soup had chicken wontons in it along with some greens.  The dish at the top left was thinly sliced cuts of cold pork with a dressing containing sesame seeds.  The top right was a bowl of boiled rice with a garnishing.  Total cost A$6.50

The following morning I went for a walk around the city.   Mid afternoon stumbled upon a bike shop near my hotel.  There was only one person present, the owner.

Using Google Translate I enquired whether he could replace my bike brake hoses.  "Yes.. No problem!"  (in Chinese) That was a slight shock as the last three bike shops had told me they couldn't.

Not wanting to miss the opportunity I quickly went back to the hotel return with my bike.  I then pointed out the broken wiring to the headlamp and "Yes we can repair that!"

As I left one mechanic had already started on repairing the wiring

P1030266

By now it was 6PM and I wandered off to find something to eat.  This time I opted to go to a local bakery.  The neon lights were on and the streets were busying.

P1030267P1030268

I bought a selection of buns.  Twice the quantity that I could eat as I intended to give half them to the guys working in the bike shop.  I'm not above giving a bribe or an incentive Smile I knew the bike shop closed at 9PM and I gave them a bag of buns as I passed on my way to my hotel.

My four buns would be dinner and breakfast.

P1030269

Two were savoury type buns.  One of them contained ham and egg.  The other was a plain bun.  The smaller one I thought might be a lemon tart but it's actually a custard tart.  I won't know about the last one until breakfast.

At 8.30PM I walked to the bike shop to check in progress.  The owner and one employee were still there and had just started on the brakes.  I sat and watched…… giving advice through Google Translate… whether it was ask for or not!

P1030270P1030272

They eventually finished everything at 9:50PM.  Remember closing time was 9PM.  I took the bike for a test ride and declared myself happy before asking for the bill.  TWD$2000, about A$100.  I had thought I might do the job myself on my return home however as I watched them work I realised a special tool was required to crimp the brass olive onto the hose.  If I'd waited until I returned to Perth the bike would have needed to go to a shop and they would have charged far more.

So a win!

I need to take the bike for a longer test ride tomorrow.

1 comment :

Jenny said...

So pleased your bike is now fixed, well worth the price and the bun bribes I imagine.