Sunday 1 October 2023

Where did it go?

Back in December 2021 I stripped down the newly purchased Bafang e-bike motor from Aliexpress.  I had assumed (correctly) that the manufacturer who have been miserly with their grease.

Untitled-1

There was some grease, but I wasn't sure about the quality.  Consequentially the original grease was removed and replaced with a known quality high temperature bearing grease.  Actually it was stuffed full of grease.

Today I disassembled the bike in preparation for my imminent overseas cycling holiday and decided to clean and check everything during the process.  I was rather surprised to discover there was very little grease on the main gear ring.

P1020990

Where had all my grease gone in the last 21 months?

This time it has been repacked with blue lithium based gear grease..

P1020991

I suspect this is something that will need to be checked every 6 months. 

No comments :