Thursday 5 October 2023

I'm off…. Was that a mistake?

Most modern airport terminals appear to be the same, apart from size.  Wednesday evening I found myself in the Perth International Terminal waiting for my Cathay Pacific flight to depart.

IMG_20231003_210404

I had purchased a Premium Economy seat.  Not because I wanted a larger seat, but because it was cheaper than an Economy seat.  Why? You may ask.  I was taking the bike which meant two pieces of luggage.  If I had gone Economy the allowance was one 23kg bag.   I would be paying excess baggage for the second bag.  The Premium allowance is two 23kg bags.  It was cheaper to purchase the Premium seat than pay for the economy excess baggage.

My first mistake occurred in Hong Kong.  I failed to realise Cathay Pacific had two flights going to my end destination and departing at the same time.  Moreover their flight numbers were very similar with both starting 45.  I was at Gate 9 attempting to board flight 450.  My boarding card was rejected and the staff then advised me I was at the wrong gate.  My flight (454) was leaving from Gate 36.  Of course this gate was at the opposite end of the HUGE terminal.  Much frantic and fierce walking saw me reach the gate in time to board. 

Interestingly, when I had done my seat allocation prior to leaving Perth the range of available seats was very limited, only two!  Yet there were only 8 passengers and 36 seats in the Premium Economy cabin.  That said; I have no complaints about Cathay Pacific.

The flight from Perth to Hong Kong was overnight and I only managed a couple of hours of sleep. 

So here I am.

IMG_20231005_143158

Yes, back in Taiwan for another cycling holiday.

Last time I cycled in December, mid winter.  This time I chose October as the weather is supposed to be great.  Unfortunately that may not be the case.  I checked the long range forecast before leaving Perth.  Rain for the next fortnight!  This might be my second mistake.  At least the rain will be lovely and warm. Smile

However it's very humid and overcast, which doesn't bode well for photograph or sightseeing.

The airline required the bike tyres to be deflated. That wasn't an issue as I took my new KMart bike pump with me.  Only to discover that whilst the pump does actually pump air the fitting on the end of the pump doesn't seal around the tube stem.  More air came out than it.  Eventually I ended up with all the air at the top of the tyre.  First task was to go to the nearest bike shop and purchase a working pump.  This might be my third mistake.

Finding accommodation at locations wasn't difficult on my last trip.  Usually I could find something either using Google or www.booking.com.  I had planned my route and the first night after leaving Taipei would be the city of Keelung on the NE coast.  These would be Friday and Saturday nights.  I knew from my last trip these are popular nights in Taiwan with the standard price usually doubling.  There was nothing available on www.booking.com.  However Google gave me a number of options.  I completed the online booking for my first choice only for the website to inform me "Oh No…. you are too late the room has been booked!"  I then did the booking for my second choice using the website only to receive the same message.  I've made a mental note not to use this website in future.  Eventually I found a cheap two star hotel at A$56 per night.  Relieved I had somewhere to stay I then read the last guest review.  "This must be the best hotel in the city as even the cockroaches, mosquitos and bed bugs stay here!"  Might be an interesting couple of nights.   My third mistake?

Meanwhile today I've been this weekend is actually National Day weekend with Monday a public holiday.  finding a bed on Sunday might be interesting.

I hadn't eaten in 24 hours and headed to the nearest 7Eleven for some sustenance.  A ham and cheese sandwich and a hot sausage.  The drink was my next mistake.  In my tired and befuddled state I had assumed the red container held strawberry flavoured milk.  No; it was chocolate.  I don't like cold chocolate milk; but I was thirsty.

IMG_20231005_123654

The easiest way to get around Taipei is to use the MRT.  It's fast, clean, frequent and cheap.  Aust$0.10 got me from my accommodation to the main railway station. 

IMG_20231005_145610

It is a huge building.  However it's even bigger underground with a vast grid network of shopping arcades.  I guess if you are going to dig up the roads to build a subway it makes sense to include the additional room for arcades.

IMG_20231005_130526IMG_20231005_145814

The bike has now been reassembled and I'll head off tomorrow.  The forecast is rain.  At least the wind through wet clothing will keep me cool!

1 comment :

Jenny said...

Good luck on your cycling trip, we are looking forward to reading all about it.