Friday 27 October 2023

Rest Day

What to do about dinner last night?  I am getting tired of sandwiches and zapped meals from 7-Eleven's.  Wandering around I passed several expensive looking establishments. Eventually I came upon a Hot Pot restaurant where the prices looked quite reasonable.

After looking at the menu I opted for a seafood hot pot.

IMG_20231025_184521

If you haven't eaten hot pot before then what you get is a bowl of water and uncooked ingredients.  You then cook these over a gas hot plate on your table.  Essentially you cook your own meal.  I didn't eat the prawn or the cob of corn.  Too hard to peel or pick up with the chopsticks! Smile

This morning I took my cycling clothes to a self-serve laundrette (A$0.15) and spent 30 minutes watching them go around and around.

A small blue painted truck stopped outside.  These small blue trucks are ubiquitous in Taiwan.  Farmers, tradesmen, couriers all seem to own them.  I've been meaning to take a photo of one for days.

IMG_20231026_095625

The other task for the day was to buy train tickets for the next part of my trip.

The coastal highway between Taroko and Su'ou is narrow and heavily utilised by large vehicles.  It's recommended cyclists take the train.

There was little point in looking at the railway station departure board as it was only displaying todays departures.  Using Google Translate I wrote my requirements on the phone.  "Ticket 27/10/2023 in the morning Hualien to Su'ou one man and bicycle"

Next I walked to the ticket counter.

P1030372

The young lady behind the counter spoke very good English <a relief>.  TWD$174 (A$8.65) for me and the bike.  The train departs at 9.34AM

P1030374

On my way back to the hotel I passed the railway station scooter park.

P1030373

I'm glad I don't have to remember where I left my scooter.

3 comments :

Pip and Mick said...

Which cost more on the train ? You or the bicycle?

Mick

Jenny said...

Look at all those scooters! I have enough trouble remembering where I leave my car at the supermarket.

Tom and Jan said...

Mick the bike fare is half price.