Thursday 19 October 2023

Short Ride to Hualien City

Last night's room was good.  Although after my exertions I suspect I would have slept soundly on a futon or even the floor.

P1030261

The Taroko Inn.  The only negative would be its location.  Rather isolated and as I was too bushed to ride back out looking for dinner I nibbled on a couple of my muesli bars.

The Filipino lady who appeared to be the live in cleaner kindly pointed out the washing machine under the rear veranda informing me it was free to use.  I managed to wash and dry every item of clothing I've worn since arriving in Taiwan .

No breakfast was provided.  That can be a mixed blessing.  Sometimes the breakfasts can be good and on other occasions cold cooked vegetables and noodles aren't appealing. Smile

A late start as it's only 23km to my next stop, the city of Hualien.  I selected a rural route, electing to stay away from the main road between Taroko and Hualien.  At noon I found a 7-Eleven and settled down for Brunch.

 P1030262

Bottle of orange juice, pot of strawberry yoghurt and a Four Cheeses and Hot Dog bun zapped in the powerful store microwave.  It filled a hole.

On reaching Hualien I visited three bicycle shops in the hope of getting the brake hydraulic hoses replaced.  The existing hoses are too short.   None of the stores could help me and I then decided to cycle to the waterfront.

On the way I passed the night market.  Empty at that time of the day.  however I did note the small military equipment display.

P1030263

I recognised the M41 tank on the left.  The NZ Army had eight when I enlisted (only four worked [occasionally]).  I thought the middle vehicle was an M113 APC (Armoured Personnel Carrier).  However it turned out to be an earlier version.  An M102.  The third vehicle was an M42 antiaircraft gun.

Slightly further towards the coast was one of the entrances to the night market.

P1030264

There was a linear park along the coastline.  A number of parents had their children in the playground.  I noticed the lady doing her exercises with a sword.  

P1030265 

She had her phone on a stand filming herself and would occasionally check her performance.

4 comments :

Paul (from Waterway Routes) said...

Can you explain what the the brake hydraulic hoses are, and why they are now too short. Have they shrunk, or were they always too short and, despite your methodical preparations and considerable previous use, you've only just noticed.

Tom and Jan said...

Hello Paul,

The bike is fitted with hydraulic front and rear disc brakes rather than cable operated.

The hoses are now too short for two reasons. The first is I recently fitted a new handle bar which had increased the distance the hoses have to move when the handlebar is being turned. I hadn't realised this was an issue until I arrived in Taiwan and fitted the fully laden panniers to the rear rack. Now when the bike is up on its stand the rear wheel is on the ground and the front in the air. Without the panniers it's the reverse. When the front wheel is off the ground the handlebar swings hard to the right or left stretching the hoses even further and placing a tension strain on the connection to the brake levers.

Hope that makes sense.

Dave said...

Hi Tom

Is it possible to change the routing of the hose so it doesn't get put under strain when the handlebars are turned and maybe release the first one or two retaining clips?

Tom and Jan said...

Hi Dave

I did attempt that but I can't physically disconnect the hoses as they would then need to be bled on reconnection. There is only one retaining clip. Actually it's a metal loop the hose passes through which means disconnecting the hose. I need longer hoses after fitting the stem extension and the new handlebar.